Am i a feminist

A couple of weeks back, on 8th of March, we celebrated International Women's Day. Lot of people wished me and i wished all my friends too. But it me ponder why do we have a women's day, every day is a woman's day, because everyday she plays so many different roles and does ample justice to all of them, most of the times. And so she has so many reasons to celebrate womanhood, every single day. Does that thought make me a feminist ? I dont really think so. Just because i dont appreciate generalistic comments like "women cant drive", "women cant park their vehicles properly", "women are dumb", "women cant make their own resume", "women are bad at money management", "women have bad decision power" etc., and invariably retaliate, doesnt make me a feminist. I can do all of that, and much more and at most times much better than most men can. Point being, I am an educated, independant person and that makes me hold my ground and make my voice heard. I am often termed as a rebel, who's invariably looking for reasons to raise objections. And this trait is, people say, so typically feminine, could be, because men have the inherent trait of being indifferent. In a way, that works in their favour because at least their mind is more at peace. I often hear men say that women just need a reason to fight, portray themselves as oppressed beings and that they get undue liberties, be it rebates in income tax, or free entry in discs, what more can they ask for? But does this assure social equality in any sense ? Well NO. I still know young women who are denied jobs because they would get married and leave their jobs, but so will men, may be for other reasons. When it comes to looking after the family a woman gives up her career, her aspirations, at least in this part of the world. Given the scarcity of women at work, she's denied opportunities to travel because the company has to pay for a separate accommodation her, while, if two men travel they can share the accommodation, cost saving ? She's termed as inferior because she can't stay up late in the office to impress her boss by putting in extra hours of work. So whats wrong if she's given a little support system to help her realise her dreams, to help her achieve the acme she wants to. I am never asking men to offer a seat to a woman or hold the door for her, though chivalry is admired, all i'm saying is that if a woman defies all odds to succeed, she should not be denied opportunities. And if supporting that cause makes me a feminist, I will proudly acknowledge.

Comments

Unknown said…
nice .. i think celebrating women's day is most embarrassing thought. as we all know that men need woman in his life whether as mother, sister or wife or daughter. they can nor leave without her not a single moment. but hesitate to show the importance.

Popular Posts