A tribute...

There is a void, somewhere, somehow, today and looks like it'll last for eternity. Pt. Bhimsen Joshi passed away, yesterday. A loss, no words can explain. I've had the good fortune of hearing him live at Sawai Gandharva and a couple of other occasions, in Pune. When he performed, only his voice prevailed and everything else came to a standstill. A mesmerizing and inundating voice. A cousin keeps asking me, was there anything i did, that wasn't time bound or i did not look at my watch, the answer is yes, when i listened to Panditji at Sawai Gandharva. He started performing at around 4 am and continued till around 8 am, I never realized when morning sunlight broke the darkness. A time when a much volatile mind, as mine, was dead still. There was just his voice. People who have heard him perform, would've experienced this magical trance.
Today, that Panditji is no longer with us, I mourn for the loss and pay homage to this bharat ratna.

Comments

Popular Posts